Lawnmower Injuries of the Hand
These injuries can be devastating to the hand
...or any part of the body that is involved.
- 22% of injuries involve the hand, fingers or wrist. 25% of which result in amputation
- Lawnmowersshould be considered potentially lethal in the hands of children.
- Children under age 6 should be inside when the lawn is being mowed.
- Children under age 12 should not be allowed to go near a power lawnmower and should be at least 16 before using a riding mower.
- Safety training is essential always.
Remember, adults suffer the majority of these injuries!
Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (JBJS):
The article in the JBJS entitled "Demographics of Traumatic Amputations in Children" by Randall T. Loder lists lawnmowers as the number one cause of traumatic amputations in children and 78% of those injured by lawnmower were five years of age or less.